Non-European student VISAs

If you are not from the European Union and you want to study in Italy, you must decide in advance how long you intend to stay. This page will help you evaluate your situation and provide all the necessary information to ensure a safe and hassle-free stay in Italy at Arsutoria School.

Less than three months

A student VISA is not necessary, you can enter Italy as a tourist, but please notice that students from Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, China, Colombia, Macedonia, Georgia, Morocco, Peru, Serbia and Montenegro, Rumania, Russia, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey and Ukraine must obtain a tourist VISA in advance

More than three months

You must request a student VISA at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country and apply for a residence permit once you arrive in Italy. Please keep reading for detailed instructions on how to proceed.

for students planning to stay for more than three months:

Student VISA

You must request a student VISA at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country.

Within 8 days by your arrival in Italy you also have to apply for a residence permit.

Students who enrol at Arsutoria School in Milan and request a student VISA must complete the online registration form and return it to Arsutoria School, with documentation of payment in full of the course selected.

Our school then provides valid certificates for obtaining a student VISA. It is not possible to cancel or change the dates of a course for which you have received a student VISA.

Each certificate must correspond to a specific course in which the student is enrolled.

If a student VISA application has been refused, the school allows to postpone the participation to a future session.

Alternatively 70% of the entire tuition fee can be reimbursed.

Students waiting for a VISA must immediately inform the school in case of delay in the VISA process or change in the date of their arrival.

Article n° 231

According to the aforementioned regulation, the VISA uniformity will be verified before the starting program or at its beginning, and if there were irregularities the School will have to report to the authorities. No refund is available in this case.

Documents needed to obtain a student VISA

Useful links

Residence permit

If you are a non-EU national and plan to come to Italy for a period exceeding three months, you must apply for a residence permit.
If it is your first time in Italy, you have 8 days to apply for a residence permit, after entering Italy. 

The validity of your residence permit is the same as that indicated on your VISA, for example:

  • up to 6 months for seasonal work or up to 9 months for seasonal work in the specific sectors requiring this extension
  • up to 1 year if you are attending a duly documented course of study or a vocational training course
  • up to 2 years for self-employment, open-ended employment and family reunification


Documents needed to obtain residence permit